Saturday, June 18, 2011

JT Update: 3 weeks




Hard to believe that tomorrow my little man will be 4 weeks old! The past 4 weeks have flown by quickly. I keep trying to relive all the moments from his birth to this morning. Okay, so here is an update from his 3 week check-up.
weight: 6 lbs. 10 oz. 5th percentile
height: 19 1/2 inches 5th percentile
head circumference: 10th percentile (I can't remember the measurement)
His doctor said she waited to tell me his percentiles until he was in the fifth because the weeks before he wasn't even on the chart. She also said those numbers don't take into consideration that he was born two and a half weeks early. My mom said not to worry because my brother and I were both in the low percentiles and it's not like JT has failure to thrive or anything. He does have a bit of thrush and a yeast rash (we no longer can use diaper wipes), but other than that he's progressing quite steadily. In fact, he's been excelling in my eyes. During tummy time, he kicks his little legs, rolls over and lifts his head. He's a natural athlete like his daddy! It's so fun to watch him do something new each day. His little personality is starting to come out more too. Although, he only exhibits sleep smiles, we're starting to tell when he prefers something and when he hates it. He's starting to focus in on the things he sees around him too.
We have been co-sleeping with JT. Apparently, co-sleeping is like the unspoken norm. My mom confessed that I co-slept with my parents for 8 months and JT's doctor said that she co-slept with her two kiddos. Everyone has warned me that it is hard to transition from co-sleeping to the crib. I also had a scare the other night, when Mr. Soup rolled over a little too close to JT. So, I've been trying to have him sleep in his pack-n-play more. I've noticed that when I nurse him in our bed, he wants to stay in our bed (makes sense), but if I nurse him in his rocking chair, he falls asleep there and doesn't really notice that I've put him in his pack n' play as long as I swaddle him up nicely. He's only slept in his crib once for a couple of hours and honestly, that's fine with me because I'm not ready to have him leave our room. I think next month, I will try to transition him to the crib a little bit more.
All this co-sleeping business has got me thinking about the fall, which I'm already dreading! I'm so blessed that I have 3 months with JT, but honestly I do not think it's long enough. I have always wanted to be a working mom, but I really think a baby needs at least six months with his momma before entering the "real" (daycare) world. At first I thought it was just that "I don't want to go back to work" feeling I get every summer, but I realize it's more about wanting to be with JT. In fact, it's more about realizing that JT needs me. It's a shame that most companies don't offer more maternity leave (or any at all---which is the case with my job...). In most European countries, women get a whole year off after having a baby. My friend and her husband planned for her to take six months off from work and I wish we could've done that. With Mr. Soup graduating from grad school and trying to find a job, it just wasn't possible (we would've exhausted our savings completely); however, for the next child (yes! I want another one or two! I'm hooked), we are going to try to save enough money so that I will not have to go back to work until he or she is six months old. I'm also going to start researching the FMLA and working mothers' rights groups a little more. There has got to be a way to change these laws. My school district requires that women use their personal days before using their Short Term Disability. Even though I paid into STD, I didn't get to use it because of when I had him. I definitely do not want to use my days because I'm going to need them when he gets sick and all that stuff. It just all seems so unfair for women. I just think more needs to be done to help women be good mothers, but also maintain a career. Okay, so I'm getting off my soapbox!
For now, I'm trying not to think about returning to work. I actually think it will be okay because I do like order and predictability. I love being at home with JT, but it is difficult for me to always stay on a schedule. Working will force me to do that. Right now, I'm trying to soak up all the JT hugs and snuggles I can! Even though I know he needs to sleep in his pack n' play or crib, I may sneak some family-sleeping time so that we can all snuggle. Last night was the first night all five of us slept together. Yep! Sam was on the floor, Maya at the end of the bed, JT in the pack n' play and Mr. Soup and me in the bed. I slept so well knowing we were all together. I loved it!
I leave you with some pictures of JT and his nursery. JT and I slept in the nursery the first week and a half of his life, but other than that he hasn't been in there much except for diaper changing. I love how it all turned out. I hope it's a place where he can feel safe and have fun. I want to give a big shout out to my mom for organizing his closet and dresser. It's so easy to get things!

No comments:

Post a Comment