Sunday, May 16, 2010

Why I do what I do

Most days I love my job. I feel like I've become a much better teacher over the past five years. I think part of my passion lies in helping kids feel like they matter in this crazy world. Three years ago I was asked to coordinate the Student Assistance Team. I didn't know what the job would entail, but over the years my team and I have redefined the team. I think we're more visible on campus among students and teachers. This year our referrals reached an all-time high. Most days my job isn't easy. I hear lots of horror stories. I've learned to keep my emotions in check for the most part because what my students do not need is my sympathy or tears. They need someone strong. They need someone to lean on. The goal of the Student Assistance Team is to help students in their personal lives so that they can succeed in their academic studies. I hope we do that, but most importantly I hope our students become themselves. I hope they love themselves and see all the good things we see in them. I also want to brag on my team. Without them, I would be lost. They work hard to meet with students and find out what we can do to help them. I've been so lucky and I know if it weren't for them, we wouldn't be as successful as we are. I am about to conclude my third year as coordinator. There are days when I don't know if I'm cut out for this job, but after this year I know it's my calling. I need them too.

1 comment: