Thursday, January 13, 2011

Where there's a will....

So we've had some ups and downs in finances over the last couple of months.
--Thanksgiving - always hard on us financially. This year we actually had to use some of our savings for it this year instead of having everything ready to go.
--Christmas - need I say more. We even lowered our budget
--one of the community college courses I was supposed to teach was canceled. This is kind of a blessing in disguise. I planned to use the money to buy things for Baby Soup and to put in savings so that I can take unpaid time off in the fall. I'm kind of bummed though. However, I don't think it was smart to plan to teach two courses this semester while pregnant. So, in a way, this will allow me more time at home to prepare for Baby Soup
--Mr. Soup is working more in his old position to help pad our savings. Which means that he's not home as much =(
--we're not going to the Superbowl. Sad that the Eagles didn't do well in the play-offs, but now we can use that money to replenish our savings and the rest towards Baby Soup
--tutoring--one of my community college co-workers tutors privately. She said I could make $60 an hour tutoring elementary school kids. I'm thinking of doing it once a week for an hour. I don't think it would take up too much time and it'd help pad our savings.
I really am impressed that we're still saving money. After saving and paying for half of our wedding, a home, and other things, I thought we'd go back to living financially carelessly. However, we've done a good job of living frugally. I think we're more committed now that Baby Soup is on the way. Ugh..and don't even get me started on maternity leave. I think I'm almost getting screwed by having a baby in the summer. If I have my baby on my due date, I'll have exactly 9 weeks off. That is not enough time off in our opinion. I can either use some of my days to take some more time off or take it unpaid. I'm thinking of taking 3 weeks more unpaid because I want to save my days for when Baby Soup gets sick, etc. I'm really hoping we can save a month's salary, so that I can do that. That was my motivation for teaching an extra class at the community college. Mr. Soup has been saving too, but I hate for him to do it on his own. Plus, we also need to put money away for day care, Baby Soup's college savings, travel savings and general savings. Whew! Sounds like a lot! Where there's a will there is a way though. We always find a way to make things work. For example, the private tutoring fell into my hands. And we decided not to take a Babymoon, but instead make it a Staycation at a hotel in downtown Dallas or something like that. We are very blessed and I love that we both have the same commitment to our future family!

No comments:

Post a Comment