Saturday, September 19, 2009

practicing acceptance

there are some things in life that I've learned to accept.
not-so-serious:
people will always compare me to Tia & Tamera Mowry (Sister, Sister; The Game)
most of the time compliments from my students are actually insults
my husband won't clean as often as he says he will

serious:
Philip really is gone
Racism is alive and well
Schools really only care about state assessments and not educating children

However, ever since Murad entered my life I've had trouble with the way the "system" treats fathers. I hate to go into too many details, but I've been struggling a lot lately. I knew what I was getting into when I married him, but I didn't think it'd be this difficult. I remember watching Autism The Musical a while ago and one of the quotes from a mother of a child with autism stuck out particularly. I'm not sure if I'm quoting it correctly, but here it goes, "I cannot judge my daughter's quality of life." I cannot do the same to my stepdaughter. It may not be what I expected or hoped for. Her life may not compare to that of her future half-siblings.
I do realize I need to practice acceptance and trust in God. Our relationship with my stepdaughter and her family has gotten progressively better over the years. I just need to step back and let that continue. Right now it just seems so hard, because it's not what I envisioned. It's not what most people envision, but it will get better. I love my family. I need my family. I accept my family. I accept the present. I am working towards a brighter tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. hugs and lots of luv my sweet : ) you are doing a beautiful job. have you ever read _a new earth_? because you practice a lot of the good stuff that comes from that book.

    ReplyDelete